This was one of my summer vaca projects. Take a look at the before pics of how I kept our family's schedule and you will see why I needed something just a squinchy bit more appealing to the ole eyeballs. Scroll down through my mind-numbingly long post to see pics of the individual pieces if you like.
I pretty much used the same painting technique for all the wooden pieces which consisted of spray painting with Rustoleum painter's touch ultra cover 2Xwhite primer and satin heirloom white paint. I really like that stuff, it covers well and leaves a nice smooth finish. I also distressed the edges with fine grit sandpaper and finished off with a coat or two of Fiddes and Sons wax in brown and then clear. It gave everything a nice shabby vintage look.
I painted the wooden frame as per the instructions above.
At first I thought I would cover it with fabric then I remembered I had this gorgeous BoBunny paper pack with just the right feel and colors I wanted.
I had a roll of dry erase that I purchased from Pat Catans for another project, woo hoo, I didn't have to get out of my cruddy sweat suit to go to the craft store. I used Sharpie Markers to make the outline of the calender and punched a half inch circle out of paper to use as a template for my date circles.
So, the Sharpies are pretty good with staying put on the board when I erase for a new month but it has come off in spots. I just reapply and try not to rub so hard with the eraser. I didn't glue this to the board, I got some fancy tacks at wall mart and used them cause I wasn't sure the whole sharpie thing was going to work well.
I also had some thin cork (again yah for not getting dressed or showered) so I cut a strip to go on the bottom of the board. I decided it was too plain for my fancy smancy board so I used some Stampin up stamps and brown ink and gussied her up a bit.
I needed something for the months that wasn't part of the dry erase, sooo
The following pieces were again painted in the same way.
I forgot to take a before pic of the letter holder but the one on the left is what it looked like before painting. I didn't even sand them, just put on primer then paint. I got both of them at Goodwill for a couple dollers each.
I can't even tell you how much better this is than what we previously used. A place for everything and everything in its place. At least in this tiny corner of our house. Certainly not anywhere else.
Thanks so much for stopping by!Linky Parties