About two years ago I started to make a crobot (crocheted robot) for my son. I started that thing over and over again, repeatedly pulling out my terrible work. I finally gave up but my son still kept asking when he was getting his robot. I finally made him one...but out of felt instead. I had this idea rolling around in my head for about as long as the trial (and error) of the crobot and I finally decided to make it for him for Christmas. With the exception of the neck band and the band for the ears, I used spellbinder dies as pattern pieces for the entire thing.
I used labels 2, nested squares, sprightly sprockets, nested rectangles. nested circles, scalloped hearts. The felt was from Joann's and was a 35% wool /rayon blend.
I cut 4 of the largest labels 2 die and 4 of the next size down. Four of the largest squares and four of the next size down.
I made the mistake of putting the head together before adding the eyes and other front pieces but these should be attached first on the flat piece. It is much easier to sew them that way. I used a blanket embroidery stitch for just about all the sewing on this.
The ears were made with the circle dies and strips of black felt about 1/2 inch wide. I wrapped the strip around the circle to get the correct proportions for the length.
Attach these before putting the head together too. I obviously didn't and it was much more difficult to sew. To keep the proportions of the circle intact, I used the circle to draw on the inside of the side of the head and used it as a sewing guide. Otherwise the circle can become distorted with the stuffing inside moving it around.
Once the eyes, etc., were on stitch the sides of the labels 2 die.
I next made arms and legs from the rectangle die as shown. The edges were doubled over length wise and whip stitched along the raw edge.
I put a couple stitches in the middle of the arms/legs to add a little joint to the limbs.
The hands and feet were put together like the head and body but with squares only.
The arms/legs were attached to the blocks and then attached to the body as shown.
I added the mouth last because I didn't think it needed it till after I finished but as with the other face parts put it on before assembling the head. I cut it using the two labels 2 dies then trimmed off everything except the bottom.
I am entering my little bot into the DIY PROJECT PARTY monthly contest.