Thursday, July 18, 2013

TINY WRITING TABLE REDO


Still melting here.... just a couple more days.


I found this sweet little writing/telephone table at my favorite junk store.
 I saw it and didn't buy it at first. But, I kept thinking how cute it would be
 with a paint job and new fabric.  I was sure when I went back it
 would be gone but there it was calling my name.

 Do you ever watch Mike and Frank on American Pickers?  They always say bundle things to get a good price. Well, this little table cost a bit more than I wanted to spend so I found a couple other things, made an offer and got a great price on everything. This is what she looked like before.  Dig that groovey green , wool fabric.

I gave it a good cleaning with my trusty krud Kutter (love that stuff) it removes all kinds of gunk and acts a little bit like a de-glosser.

I knew I wanted to paint it with the same chalk paint I used on my bathroom stand so I got out my Maison Blanche Sugar Cane and got to work.

First up was to strip and sand the top as I wanted to keep it a dark wood tone.  It had some nicks but I left them.  Adds character right?


Once stripped and cleaned, I first used Minwax Dark Walnut for the first coat.  It wasn't quite as dark as I wanted so the next coat was Rsutoleum Kona.  A couple coats of Dark wax and it was just right.
I removed the seat and painted the entire base with two coats of Sugar Cane.  I distressed it a little and added a couple coats of light brown wax.  

Here is a better pic of the top with the wax added.

I  took off  all that lovely fabric from the seat. All I can say is ick.  The board was in pretty bad shape so I used it as a template to cut a new one out of plywood.
I had some Warm and Natural batting left over from a quilt project so I used that for the cushion of the seat.  I cut 3 layers the exact shape of the seat and one layer to wrap around.  I used a staple gun to attach everything to the wood.
I then covered it in this cotton fabric.  I found it at Joanns and it was perfect with just a touch of the soft aqua color that was used to paint the base of the table.
I stapled the wrap around piece to the back, then added a piece on top to hide all the mess.
Lastly, I added some decorative scrapbook paper with a writing theme to the inside of the desk.  It looked too bare to me with just the paint.
This is residing in my bedroom for now but I am moving things around to find a better place for it.  

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Linky Parties
French Country CottageMustard Seed Creations Furniture Feature Friday

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh my gosh it turned out amazing!!!! Great find :)

Amy Johnson said...

Beautiful refinishing as always!