This is a picture of the table after I had cleaned it up and given a couple coats of Java gel stain.
I used the table as a guide and cut the wood a few inches longer on both ends for an over hang and about an inch on the long sides. I made the cuts so the nails were staggered along each board.
After the stain, I gave the boards three coats of semi-gloss polyurethane. I should have tried that along with the stain because it is just a bit too shiny for my taste. My husband helped me attach the boards to the table with wood screws.
It isn't too bad for something that I just wanted to try out. I will probably end up using it in the new garage rec room.