Sunday, June 14, 2009

LIGHTS OUT!


My son's room is decorated in a fireman's theme and although he is rapidly outgrowing it he isn't too old to still want a nightlight. I used the Rescue Ian stamp from The Greeting Farm to make my son Ian a custom-made nightlight for his room. I found the instructions for this project somewhere on the Internet but I couldn't find it when I went to look for a link so I apologize profusely to the one who came up with this idea. I always try to give credit when I use someone else's idea and like to provide a link. If I find it I will include it when I have a chance.

This was super easy to do and would look way too cute with TGF's Fairys for a little girls room. In fact I plan on making one for my sister's little girl so I will post it when I get it done. However, see my final note at the bottom before you try this project.


All you need is a plastic cup, some card stock a nightlight, and your image. I used an old nightlight we had laying around but I am sure you can get them at Walmart or even michaels maybe. You just need to look for one that has a groove that the cup can slide onto.
I was going to paper piece a fireman's shield but I found THIS one on the internet. Hopefully I am not doing something illegal by using the image since it is just for my personal use and not for sale. I printed it out on white cardstock and then added another layer to give it some body. I used black but any color is fine.


As I mentioned, there was a groove in the nightlight that I had that allowed the cup to slide into. I cut the cup in half and then cut a u-shaped hole at the base using the nightlight as a guide. Try cutting it a little smaller than you think you need so that you can adjust as necessary.


I attached the shield with the tacky double sided red tape. Now,I have to put a disclaimer here, I don't know how well this is going to hold up. I may have to re-think the adhesive if the warmth from the light makes it fall off. I will let you know if that happens, so far so good. I placed Rescue Ian on the front and added my son's name to the bottom to personalize it. It looks so cute when it is plugged in. Of course all you can see at night is the light but during the day it makes a really cute room dec.



FINAL NOTE - When I make the next one I am going to make it a little smaller by either using a smaller cup or cutting the red one down a bit. The larger size seemed to fall forward a lttle though it is still usable.

14 comments:

Judy Rozema said...

How totally CUTE!!! You are so creative, Kim!

Marilyn (stampwithMJ) said...

what a fab idea!

Ginny said...

this looks FANTASTIC!!!!!

Mary Giles said...

How cute is that! Great idea and thanks for sharing it.

Amy Johnson said...

Oh wow! This is such a fabulous idea! I love it! I love the image...greeting farm images are so cute! The whole project just looks so wonderful and is so well done.

Peggy said...

What a cute idea!! Love your fireman Ian!!

Gloria Dojlido said...

Totally precious...what a fabulous idea.

Unknown said...

This is genius! I'm definately going to try this one!

Nunt said...

Your son must be so happy! This is marvelous use of creativity :)

xx,
nunt

Amy said...

that is the cutest idea!! :) great job!!

Hugs
Amy

cr8iveme said...

what a great idea. And so unique

M.E. aka CMCMaryD@SCS

Michelle's Daydreams said...

This a really great idea! Thank you for sharing with us! :)

Jessica Diedrich said...

How STINKIN CUTE is this?!?!? WOW! Your ideas are so innovative and your coloring on this is amazing! What a great idea-My sons would LOVE this!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! What a clever idea! I'll have to remember this for my grandkids. I'm stopping by for the first time to say hi and be all nosy about your blog... Love what you come up with! I'll be back again soon - have a great day!