Thursday, January 3, 2013


I had no idea what I wanted to do with two boxes that I found at goodwill for $1.49 each. Then I saw a shelf that had some raised decorations along the edge and thought maybe I could replicate the look and decided to practice on one of the boxes.

This is what the box looked like when I found it.  Someone had rubbed off the picture that was on the side but they were good sturdy boxes and way cheep.
 I cut some grunge paper (Tim Holtz) using some spellbinder's dies.  Make sure you get the paper and not the board. I haven't tried the board but I have read several posts about people not being able to cut through the board.  The grunge paper cut pretty well but I did have to use small, fine edge scissors, to trim out some of the more intricate parts.  These were glued on to the box.  I have had good results with some new glue I picked up recently. It is Beacon 3-in-1 craft glue.  It adheres quickly and dries clear.  It is a little stringy but overall it works pretty well. I cut two of each of the dies, glued them together then glued them to the box on both sides.
I then spray painted the entire thing with dark brown paint.
Next up was two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in old white followed by a little distressing with fine grit sandpaper.
To finish, I added a dark brown glaze. I left quite a bit on cause I liked the darker, worn look. This pic is before I wiped off the glaze.
For the holidays, I made some candle wraps for the candles that I wanted to put inside the box. The candles were first wrapped with a strip of burlap then I used another spellbinder die to make a top.  This was tied on with some twine.
I cut some more dies of leaves and flowers to embellish the candle.
The leaves were attached on top of the twine.
Then I made some flowers by first cutting them out then spritzing them with a little water.
I then scrunched them and let them dry.
For some reason I didn't take a picture of this but I then layered the petals onto a brad to form the flower.
And then attached it to the candle.
The box technique is such a fun one that can be used on so many different home decor items and it is fairly inexpensive and easy to do.  I have quite a few ideas in mind for this in the future.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
I am entering this project in the monthly DIY PROJECT PARTY

1 comment:

Amy Johnson said...

I just love what you did to the box! So creative!