Tuesday, July 30, 2013

QUILTING FOR CHARITY

Hey there! Just wanted to show you what I have been working on and maybe entice you to get involved.  If you can use a machine to sew a straight line you can probably complete this little quilt.  

I found out about this charity from  the blog MAKE IT AND LOVE IT.  The charity is called QUILTS FOR KIDS  and they donate quilts made by volunteers to children in hospitals with life threatening illnesses.  I have been wanting to do something like this for a long time and never got around to actually participating.  This organization made it really easy to jump in.

They provide the fabric already cut out and an instruction sheet.  For someone like me (and maybe you) who has the desire but limited time it was a perfect opportunity.  You do have to pay for the shipping (about $6) but the fabric is free.  You also have to provide the batting and pay to return the quilt to the organization.  All in all I spent about $25 for everything and finished the quilt in about 5 weeks-they request it be returned in 4-6 weeks.  I used a 40% off coupon from Joanns  and got a baby quilt size of warm and natural all cotton batting.  It was just the right size.  It was such a good feeling to send the quilt back and know that it may comfort a child who really needs it.

If you can sew even a little and you have been looking for a way to contribute, please check them out. Although I am a fairly experienced seamstress I have almost no quilting experience and I managed to do a decent (definitely not above average) job on the quilting. I don't really think the kids will care when they are snuggling it.   I also don't have a fancy quilting machine. I have a regular, old, basic kenmore sewing machine and it worked perfectly well making this small quilt.


 LINKY PARTIES
 

No comments: