Tuesday, December 4, 2012

GARBAGE CAN REDO

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We went from having two guests to thirteen so we were pretty busy over the holiday. On to Christmas I guess.

We have a very sweet "looking" beagle who loves to tear our garbage apart. Because of this we have had to put our garbage can on top of a table to keep her out of it. Although this doesn't always work as she has, on occasion, jumped up on the table to dig in.  Look at that face, hard to believe she would do anything thing that would get her in trouble..........

We have been looking for a good way to keep her out of the garbage and keep the can off the table and finally found a nice bin that we could put a child lock to prevent her pernicious pawing. Unfortunately the wood was unfinished so I had to do it myself.  I decided I wanted a dark top and light bottom similar to my TV stand but not quite as dark on top.  


I forgot to take a pic before I started but you can see the light color of the wood.  I had taped off the bottom so that I could stain the top first.
I chose a dark walnut stain and prepped the raw wood first with some pre stain. I am a complete novice at this stuff so I did the pre-stain because someone on a blog said to.  And we all know everything on the web is totally true right? It worked out pretty well though so I can't complain.
This is after one coat of stain.
And the finished top after two coats. I so love this color!
I didn't take any pics of the next part for some reason (though I thought I had) but I removed the paper and put on two coats of Annie Sloan chalk paint in old white. Though it is difficult to see in the pic,  I  added a coat of brown glaze over the paint. I finished up with three coats of rub on polyurethane. I had never used that type of polyurethane before and it was pretty easy to apply.   Not bad for someone who doesn't have a clue what they are doing!
So far the little devil hasn't figured out a way to get into it!
Thanks for stopping by, see ya soon!

No comments: