Thursday, December 6, 2012

STENCILED MONOGRAM WREATH

I haven't been keeping up with seasonal decorations on my front door wreath so I decided to give it permanent update by adding a monogram.









I started out with a black letter from either Joann's or Michael's and did some stenciling using a stencil from Martha Stewart and some Ranger distress crackle paint in vintage photo.
This is a close up of the crackle effect.  It isn't very pronounced but I thought it looked pretty cool.

I really liked how it looked and intended to leave it black.
But when I put it up to the wreath it was just too dark.  I decided to add a couple coats of Annie Sloan chalk paint in old white which, after it dried, I sanded off the layer over the stenciling.  I also did a little distressing on the edges to reveal some of the black.
Cool huh? I didn't want to glue the letter on so I added some twine to the back with some gorilla glue and tied it around the wreath. That way if I ever decide to change things up it won't be difficult to remove. Yes I know how ugly the back is and I don't care.  You can't see it.

 It looked so much better this way and now I don't have to think about decorating the wreath every time I walk in the door.
I have some Christmas projects coming up so stay tuned and thanks so much for taking a look!

No comments: